This week's business tip: Nothing pays off more than good ol'fashioned hard work.
During the summer of 2015, the Commonwealth Club hosted Kim Kardashian-West. I attended the VIP reception, and although I was disappointed that we couldn't take selfies with her, I was more excited to hear her interview with Judge LaDoris Cordell.
Kim and the honorable Judge talked about race in America, the country of Armenia, the objectification of women in the media and how to be a successful entrepreneur.
As the first lady of fame and the queen of a multi-million dollar empire, Kim had some great tips for aspiring business owners. Below are my seven takeaways.
- Develop a strong work ethic. Hard work always pays off and Kim is the perfect example of someone with a fabulously strong work ethic. She wakes up at 6a every morning and sometimes doesn't stop working until 10p.
- You can't rely on your beauty. When asked what is the biggest mistake she sees girls making who want to achieve big dreams is that they rely on their looks. You have to develop a skill and strong work ethic in order to reach your goals.
- DO sweat the details. Kim notoriously pays attention to the minute of the minute details. This has especially served her well in the partnership with Glu Mobile for the mobile game, Kim Kardashian goes to Hollywood.
- Maintain your hunger and hustler mentality. From a young age, Kim says that she fell in love with selling and being a hustler. This is clearly evident in her success to land numerous endorsement deals and project offerings.
- Remain engaged and accessible. Kim prides herself on managing her own social media and having a direct relationship with her followers. Whether it's asking them for feedback on a product or meeting them on their special day or replying to a tweet, Kim maintains a sense of vulnerability and accessibility with her fans.
- Focus on building your confidence. As a child, Kim was often teased for her body shape. During those difficult times, she was forced to learn how to build a sense of inner confidence and strength. This has served her and her business pursuits very well.
- Find your passion and remain determined. At the end of the day, Kim is a girl that loves fashion and dreamed of being in the industry. And she never gave up. Once you discover your passion, never let it go.
- BONUS: Always give back. Whether you're rich and famous, or not, you can always do something to help make our world a better place.
Your challenge this week:
Which of the above tips resonated with you and how will you implement it this week?